Kickstarter 2013 Revisited

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun May 10 15:18:23 EDT 2015

Terence Heaford wrote:

 > Richard,
 >
 > Thank you for your answer but my point as an example take the
 > DataGrid which is currently script based.
 >
 > If this object was deemed not to be part of a “limited” set of
 > objects provided by LC and it was to be left to the
 > Community/Developer to provide then due to the complexity a Developer
 > would probably want to charge for providing it.

RunRev has no intention of making v8 a subset of v7. On the contrary,
Kevin and others have said several times that v8 will add to v7 in many
useful ways, while preserving compatibility with the v7 feature set.

As Kevin described it in the blog post I linked to a while back,
initially many objects in LC will remain as they are now, and over time
will be rewritten with LC Builder.

But they'll be there, in one form or another.

 > As a result someone who had contributed to the making LC OpenSource
 > has a further price to pay but only if the object could be
 > incorporated in the Community Edition.
 >
 > A paid up licence to LC would also have to pay extra to use this
 > object.

I've heard no suggestion that RunRev will pull the DataGrid or any other
object they currently ship with LiveCode.  Where did you get this notion?

 > My concern is that as LC move to this Widget arrangement the objects
 > provided may become more limited.

The goal is very much the opposite, so I don't think you need to worry
there.

 > A list of default widgets to be provided with LC would be good?

It may be too early right now for the team to be able to produce a list
of which widgets will be in which version.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  LiveCode Community Manager
  richard at livecode.org