Kickstarter 2013 Revisited

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Sun May 10 13:41:19 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-10 19:34, Paul Dupuis wrote:
> On 5/10/2015 1:01 PM, Richmond wrote:
>> listing of the Kickstarter goals and what happened to them
>
> Open Source Livecode - DONE
> Unicode - DONE
> Resolution Independence - DONE
> Plugable Themes - NOT DONE - last word from RunRev that I recall was
> that this was tied to engine changes in LC8
> Cocoa - DONE
> Physic Engine - NOT DONE - tied to engine changes in LC8
> Windows 8/Phone - NOT DONE - tied to engine changes in LC8
> Vector Object - NOT DONE - ties to engine changes in LC8
> Multimedia - PARTIALLY DONE (OSX AVFoundation), they have stated that a
> full cross-platform media support is, also, tied to the engine changes
> in 8.
> New Browser Object - DONE (if I recall correctly)
>
> I am not aware of any goal that RunRev has forgotten in any of their
> posts on this topic. They have moved goals around in their timetable
> for
> what they have stated was efficiency in implementation. For example,
> they have stated that the Vector object will take less effort to
> deliver
> under the engine changes in LC8 that trying to add it to LC6. They have
> also revised their timetable, indicating which items are tried to what
> version of the engine. Note that "tied to the engine changes in LC8"
> does not necessarily mean delivered it LC8. It means it is dependent on
> having those changes in place. You can believe them or not as you like.

Thanks Paul - that is a very good way to sum up where we are :)

Indeed 'Pluggable Themes' was one of the contention points which caused
our slight redirection through widgets.

Pluggable (visual) themes are great but there is a great deal more to
getting things to work specifically as they do on individual platforms
than visual representation. Sure you can use native objects, but if you
want something which works like a native object but needs a little more
you have to fall back to writing or adapting what is there. i.e. Themes
in their true sense of meaning a control works precisely how it should
on any given platform (or perhaps more accurately, allow you to write a
control which works like a native object but gives the functionality you
need) requires code; just having a flexible 'fixed' themeing system is
not enough.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps