about Mark...

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun May 10 12:25:02 EDT 2015

On 10/05/15 19:10, Mark Waddingham wrote:
> On 2015-05-10 15:23, Peter M. Brigham wrote:
>> In the absence of any communication and actual information, people
>> always imagine all kinds of things, and this is especially true of
>> anyone seen as a leader. All along Mark has been a presumably
>> extraordinarily capable technician heading up a talented team who are
>> trying to do their best to develop the product we love, and solving
>> problems whose complications we are unaware of -- but without some
>> sense of him as a person and a glimpse of what's going on behind the
>> curtain in Edinburgh it has been easy to think that he and they are
>> ignoring us, or twiddling their thumbs, or something. His presence on
>> this list is obviously welcome and much needed, even if it's only
>> intermittent.
>
> I think that is perhaps the issue - lack of knowledge causes
> speculation, usually without appropriate application of 'Occam's
> Razor' (or should that be 'Hanlon's Razor'...).
>
> To be fair if you want to see what my team and I are doing in an
> uncensored form then you need only look here:
>
> https://github.com/runrev/livecode/pulse

It might be easier if, for goofy types like myself, those "things" at
that web address were explained in some way that we could understand.

> This shows (at the very least) all the patches we are applying as we
> develop. (I tried to find a public way to view the 'runrev'
> organisation news feed - but couldn't - if anyone who knows their way
> around github.com more than I can share how to see that publically
> then that would be great).
>
> My modesty won't allow me to comment as to how much of an
> 'extraordinarily capable technician' I might be. However, put in
> context, I have been working on the LiveCode engine as we inherited it
> from MetaCard since 2004. This now accounts for getting on for a third
> of my life, so I have certainly gained a rather large amount of
> knowledge about it - so I'd hope that I was quite capable, in that
> specific regard at least.

I don't think anybody doubts your capability. In fact I very much doubt
any of the core RunRev community doubt the capabilities of
the whole RunRev team.

They may doubt their communicative capablities,

and they may wonder at exactly the way that is being taken vis-a-vis
what they are working on.

Richmond.