Kickstarter 2013 Revisited

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun May 10 12:17:21 EDT 2015

On 10/05/15 18:34, David Bovill wrote:
> Thanks for taking the time to air this Richmond. I generally agree with the
> sentiment. I'd see much of this being resolved by redefining the nature of
> the interface between LiveCode Ltd and the community. The diaogue is not
> there suficiently. It's not there with regard to roadmaps, the on-rev
> server outage, and the Kickstarter goals.
>
> You have my vote to be sent to Edinburgh to investigate and report back?
> You speak the same language after all :)

Well, just as long as you pay the air ticket, the accommodation fees,
and compensation for work hours lost down here
in "darkest Peru" (err . . . Bulgaria).

I, honestly, don't think it needs a visit from "Richmond with a light
sabre".

What it does need is for Runtime Revolution to wake up to the simple
fact that they might be "f**king off" more people than
they can really afford to, and adjust the way they do things appropriately.

Every company "f**ks off" a certain proportion of clients: I do; sending
away the lazy, smug little "sh*ts" who have fathers who
are captains of industry, highly paid surgeons. highly paid lawyers, and
so on, while raising the educational tone of my school
does make enemies, and I have to be careful that I don't exceed the
"elastic limit", because if I do, it is me that is f**ked,
and not those clients.

Obviously this involves a certain amount of "diplomatic wiggling" (also
called "moral turpitude"), and keeping kids who, frankly,
are both morons and disruptive; I have to wait the strategic moment to
"went" them - normally I find at the start of the next academic
year I, unfortunately, don't have space for them as my class lists are
already full.

I am "truly blessed" in that, on the whole, the vast majority of my kids
are lovely, happy, hard-working-yet-playful kids who are
a pleasure to work with.

If, however, enough parents start shouting that there is something that
they feel is wrong about the way I do things I d*mn well have
to tak tent or my business will founder and close.

The Kickstarter campaign featured a list of goals, and then "stretch" goals.

What is needed is really quite simple:

1. A list of ALL those goals:

1.1. Which of those goals have been achieved, and Livecode version
numbers where that happened,
so that end-users can check the veracity of those claims.

1.2. Which of those goals have NOT been achieved, and a REALISTIC
timetable as to when they will be achieved.

1.3 "Everything else" to be put on the backburner until 1.2 has been
fulfilled.

1.4. An end to the high-handed manner in which RunRev do NOT keep their
customers, users, kickstarter contributors
informed of developments such as:

1.5 ALL the bugs that have been lying around for donkey's ages and have
been swept under the carpet.

1.6. points 1.1. and 1.2.

I, for one, am NOT impressed by the production of a "version 8" when a
very large number of the things in the version  6 series
are still wonky.

It would seem that "version 8" has been produced so that end-users are
so blinded by the glare of "version 8" they cannot
see the underbrush clogging up the way through the woods of "version 6";
and that doesn't even mention "version 7" which
is currently at "7.0.5" and not completed, yet we have a "version 8"
queering the pitch.

I don't know WHO is impressed by new versions of LiveCode popping out as
often as hens lay eggs, but a version that has
ALL the extant bugs sorted out might be of more use than the escalator
theory of evolution instantiated in LiveCode
versions.

There are other users of LiveCode who have stated that post version 5.5
things are fairly shaky: well, it's a long, long way
from 5.5. to 8.0 - and those comments never seem to be addressed adequately.

I still do all of my "serious" Livecode work with version 4.5, seeing
nothing since then that is an obvious advance.

Richmond.