GitHub starter guide?

shawnlc shawnblc at me.com
Fri May 1 20:34:50 EDT 2015

I'm no git master by any stretch of the imagination.  I've used it for quite
awhile to find code though.  I just recently got into repositories and team
collaboration.  Remember, github isn't the only place to use git.  There's
places like BitBucket, and GitLab; the pricing structures are quite
different too.  You can use terminal for command, or you can use an IDE.
I'd say most use the terminal.  The basics of git are quite simple and only
a few commands, it starts getting a little more complicated when you get
into different branches and merging branches.

YouTube is a good place to start, here's a few more:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/Bitbucket+Documentation+Home

http://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Basics-Getting-a-Git-Repository

In a nutshell you create a directory, this is where your project lives, tell
git to monitor this directory with `git init`, using `git status` will give
you the status, `git add .` will add all changed files, then you have `git
push origin` to push to your repository, `git checkout`, etc.

For more on git branching