Suggest a USB device.

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Thu Mar 26 20:35:55 EDT 2015

On 3/26/15 1:26 PM, Richmond wrote:
> On 26/03/15 22:14, Phil Davis wrote:
>> Hi Richmond,
>>
>> If the scanner is an HID device, you won't get very far. You would
>> probably need a driver to communicate with, via "open driver" etc.
>> And even then you would have to have info about the driver's data
>> formats.
>
> Am I being naive?

Sometimes ignorance/naivety can lead to great things, because you didn't
know it couldn't be done.  ;-)  At least that's what I keep telling myself.

> or if one uses "open driver to write" can one then write API commands
> to that driver?

Basically yes, that's my understanding at least. That may require you to
deal with strongly typed data.

I'm sure there are others on this list who have much more experience
than I do with drivers. Maybe you!

Phil

>> I tend to see USB as a large black hole. I haven't looked at it since
>> USB 2.0, but at that time the spec was daunting. It seems to have
>> multiplied since then: http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/
>>
>> Do you have a flash drive (aka thumb drive)? That's a USB mass
>> storage device. You can read from/write to that. (Of course)
>>
>> Just some thoughts off the top of my head -
>> Phil Davis
>>

>> On 3/26/15 1:04 PM, Richmond wrote:
>>> While I am waiting for my turtle to be delivered I am getting pretty
>>> cheesed-off as I would like a USB device I could hook up to my various
>>> computers running various operating systems . . .
>>>
>>> Certainly I feel it is pretty pointless working on "open to read"
>>> and "open to write"
>>> stuff if I don't have a target USB device to practise with.
>>>
>>> I have plenty of USB devices, but most of them are what I call
>>> "one-way" devices:
>>> that is to say they sent data to the computer, but no data is ever
>>> sent the other way.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I have just spotted a fairly old USB scanner (well, bought
>>> it about 15-16 years ago)
>>> lurking under a desk, and that is a "two-way" device as it has to be
>>> controlled from an interface on
>>> the computer . . .
>>>
>>> However, while I can, quite possibly, do an "open to read", I am
>>> going to find it difficult to "read"
>>> anything until I "write" some sort of command to the scanner to scan
>>> something . . .
>>>
>>> Has anybody tried controlling a scanner from LIvecode?
>>>
>>> Has anybody any idea of the sort of commands I should be sending a
>>> scanner?
>>>
>>> Richmond.

Phil Davis