printPaperRectangle & LC7

Paul Hibbert paul at livecode.org
Sun Mar 22 15:47:27 EDT 2015

You are just slowly coming to the same conclusions I did, apart from the fact that this is an Apple bug, not a LC bug, I'm sure if you continue with LC6.7.3 you will see the same problems occur, I just tested it again and saw the same problem, and in LC 5.5.5 too. It also happens in Apple's own Pages app.

In my long reply I did explain one reliable way to use the print system by reversing the order that the dialogue boxes are shown, try it and I'm sure you will find it works fine, but it's just not so intuitive! Although at least in LC you can do it that way.

  on mouseUp
     answer printer as sheet
     if the result is "Cancel" then exit to top
     answer page Setup as sheet
     if the result is "Cancel" then exit to top
     print card
  end mouseUp

I'm also quite confident the print "into rect" will be working in the next release, so that should overcome your original problem, but I'm also equally confident the issue you are seeing right now can't be fixed by LiveCode, however, I couldn't find a bug report to cover this issue, so I'll submit one just to see what LiveCode's answer is, and to see if there is any chance of a fix.

As a point of interest, take a look at Apple's latest Preview app, the Page Setup is combined with the Print dialogue, I hope LC will have the option go the same way soon.

Happy LiveCoding :)

Paul