Problems with movies in latest LiveCode versions

Paul Hibbert paul at livecode.org
Fri Mar 20 16:21:47 EDT 2015

> Since I use a lot of movies in my stacks, I have gone back to LiveCode 5.5.3. I’ve tried LiveCode versions 6.7 through 7.04 and they do not display movies properly. For one thing, when I try to set a file path to a relative path, the later LiveCode versions do not allow me to save the relative path, but instead immediately convert the relative path back to an absolute path.  Moreover, the movies only appear unpredictably.

Not sure if this will help you, but I found this is easy to workaround, just add something like…

set fileName of player "myPlayer" to "./movies/myMovie.mov"

…to the openCard handler of the card that holds the movie, or the control that loads the movie, obviously the path will need to be the correct relative path. LC will still convert it to the absolute path, but at least it will be correct, especially if the stack and movies are moved to a different location before being opened. I would expect this should also improve the unpredictably too.

> In LiveCode 5.5.3 and beyond, the movieClip does not function correctly.  While the movieClip Property Inspector has a  Size and Position section for setting the location of the movieClip, this does not work.
>
> I’m using  Mac system 10.9.5.

I tried, but can't re-create this problem, the Property Inspector - Size and Position work fine as far as I can see, I am on OS X 10.10.2, but I doubt that would be a platform version issue. Hopefully somebody else could try this on 10.9.5 to confirm.

> While I appreciate the efforts of the LiveCode team for upgrading the abilities of LiveCode, I think that when it comes to a basic control like a Player object not functioning, this affects LiveCode’s reputation for reliability, and the problem needs to be addressed.

Have you reported the problem via the LC Quality Control centre? http://quality.runrev.com In my experience it's well worth trying.

Paul