[semi-OT] Distributing apps for iOs outside iTunes

Mark Wilcox mark at sorcery-ltd.co.uk
Wed Mar 18 19:17:02 EDT 2015

I've used ad-hoc provisioning as a free and simple per device licensing mechanism before but it doesn't offer any protection. Devices get lost and stolen and you can't remote kill the app via the provisioning mechanism. Anything with a real data security requirement has to have a user authentication system. Whether you or the client manages that is up to them and their IT capabilities.

Too easy to disagree while talking in generalities though. Every client app is different.

My main point for this thread is that the enterprise developer account is a major convenience and worth considering. I once had a large client that got one just for internal test builds, the app was for consumers and releases were on the App Store. Even then it saved a lot of time and hassle.

Sent from my iPhone