LC7 & Unicode

TEDennis tedennis at softwaredetails.com
Tue Mar 17 14:19:27 EDT 2015

Richard: re: I thought Kay's post lent a welcome balance to the discussion.

Good for you.  It's all in perspective.  The tone of Kay's post certainly
didn't sound like a "welcome balance" to me.  It sounded condescending, so I
responded in kind.  Trust me, that was far milder than what I felt like
saying.

re: "Entire user community" is pretty big, and neither Kay nor anyone else
has suggested no one report bugs.

Nor did I.  My comment was about me, and my reluctance to keep strong
feelings under wraps.  Especially since I've already been doing that.  For a
long time.  I spent a very successful career developing big bux big iron
software, all the way from programming low level operating system interfaces
(including assisting IBM with some of their early operating systems) to high
level management.  I know software is a tough job.

My involvement in this thread started with a desire for clarification of a
claim made by one of the developers (?) which made it sound like LC was
determining all by its lonesome that Unicode was being used.  If that were
the case, and we could disable that auto-determination, I would readily use
it as an "easy" way out of a situation that affects my application.
Sometimes the developers are so close to their baby that they overlook some
obvious alternatives.  Was that the case here?  I don't know.  And I still
don't.  I doubted it when I first conceived the notion, but I would have
been amiss by not mentioning it with the hopes of being a help to myself and
others in the community.

re: But let's also try to maintain a perspective of actual scope here,
relying more often on what we've seen for ourselves rather than what we
heard from someone who who heard it from someone else.

If you can review the comments here and on other forums and come to the
conclusion that Unicode support did not impact the "Entire User Community"
at some level, then we will have to agree to disagree.  I know for a FACT
that it impacted my app in a negative manner, and I explained the
circumstances.  A simple answer to a simple question would have short
circuited this discussion many posts ago.

re: Have you submitted it? [the "eof" bug].  If not, do you have a sample
script I might use to verify the issue and submit it for you?

I submitted it, complete with a detailed script/recipe.  It was accepted as
a bug, and they [claim to have] fixed it.  When I need to enhance that app,
I will verify it.

TED