stack not specified height (from using editmenus?)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Mar 17 13:59:04 EDT 2015

Bob Sneidar wrote:

 >> On Mar 6, 2015, at 14:51 , Dr. Hawkins wrote:
 >> It doesn't seem to make sense that a menu on the application/macos
 >> titlebar would affect the window layout (but if that's
 >> correct, it's easy enough to adapt to).
 >
 > I think it’s wiggy too, until you consider that someone developing
 > for both platforms would want the same spacial look and feel for both
 > Win and OS X. Having empty space at the top of an OS X window would
 > almost always be undesirable.

It can seem "wiggy" if you spend most of your time on Macs so that it
may not be readily apparent just how uncommon it is to have a global
menu bar. I trust Windows users feel this Mac convention is equally
"wiggy". :)

In general GUI terms, a window has two primary regions: the drag region
and the content region.

The window's title is drawn in the drag region, while a menu bar is part
of the content region.

Menu aren't in the title bar at all.  On Mac they're completely
disconnected from the window, and for the other 90% of the GUI world
they're not in the title bar either but below it.

As a convenience for deploying to Macs, by default the portion of the
content region occupied by the menu bar is cropped when rendering the
window, and the menus from that group are rendered in the Mac's global
menu bar instead.

The portion of the card containing the menu group will only appear empty
if you also go out of your way to hide that group, a step normally not
needed by virtue of this automatic cropping.

Even then, hiding the group generally won't show an empty area because
the window's already cropped.  You'd have to go further out of your way
to show that to the user by explicitly turning on the editMenus stack
property, something you wouldn't normally consider unless you were
actually editing the objects in the menu group.

By and large, the default behaviors are pretty good and can usually be
left alone for reasonably HIG-savvy deployment across platforms.

One of the few areas where the complete contents of the card may come
into play is with printing, and only in certain circumstances.

Given that the layouts in our UI stacks are more frequently set up for
user interaction, it's common to have a substack for printing in which
the card is sized for the current printer metrics and page orientation,
and contains only the elements we want to print.

But sometimes we may want to print the same card we've designed for the
user to interact with, and in that case we'll need to take into account
everything on the card, which may include a menu bar.

In any layout, if you want to print only a portion of the card you'll
want to specify that portion in your print command options.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems