LC7 & Unicode

TEDennis tedennis at softwaredetails.com
Mon Mar 16 16:38:08 EDT 2015

Bernard: I didn't see the transition in Dr. Brett's discussion to be as black
and white as your interpretation.

re: all the goodness of widgets and the javascript engine and the new "DSL"
language enhancements seem to me to be far more significant than unicode.

Agree 100%, and I am looking forward to the re-architected version (LC 8) so
I can make significant changes to extend the LC base for my own purposes.
Not because I need to do it, but just because LC provides the ability to do
it ... and I like to play around with code.  If you build it, they will
come.

Since the major complaints have been mostly related to Unicode, it's
apparent that most everybody "out here" has been relating the performance
issues to Unicode.  Apparently all those references have been wrong.  How
did we ALL (or most of us) get to the point where we thought Unicode was the
culprit?

Dr. Brett's reference to "more fundamental" issues immediately followed his
discussion of Unicode, so I interpreted that to mean the "/way values and
variables are handled/" was also related to Unicode.  I made this (possibly
incorrect) subtle association because "values and variables" can themselves
be Unicode.  I reasoned that if Unicode wasn't involved, the impact of the
"more fundamental" changes wouldn't have been so severe.

In any case, we get back to my comment ... modified a bit to match your
response:

/I'm wondering how these LC language extensions that have had a major
performance impact managed to get past the initial design stage, but that's
a different issue altogether.  Surely somebody, somewhere foresaw these
"enhancements" would be a major resource hog./

It has been a while since LC7 hit the streets.  Perhaps there were some
warnings ahead of time that I didn't pay attention to, but I don't recall
being "conditioned" to experience a significant performance hit.  Does that
mean they didn't know about those performance glitches until builders of
*real* apps started using the new system?  Or, was it a "damn the torpedoes,
full speed ahead" scenario?

TED