What property does "set as stack menubar" set?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Mar 14 22:11:02 EDT 2015

On 3/14/2015 8:18 PM, Dr. Hawkins wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 3:20 PM, J. Landman Gay <jacque at hyperactivesw.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 3/14/2015 4:42 PM, Dr. Hawkins wrote:
>>
>>> I just can't find the property being set or unset by  "set as stack
>>> menubar"  in the menuBuilder.
>>>

>> It's the "menubar", and is a property of a stack.
>

> Hmm.  It's definitely still set.
>
> Should I be manually setting the vis of the menu group to false to hide
> it?  But the viz is false in the source stac and it stilldoesn't show there.

No, leave it visible so Windows users will see it and you will too
during development. You probably have editmenus set to true, which
prevents the card scrolling. You can either set that to false in the
message box, or tick the "Preview in menubar" checkbox in the Menu
Builder (which is LC-speak for setting the editmenus to false.)

When set to true, editmenus is handy when you want to work with the
buttons or the menu group on a Mac (on Windows editmenus is always
functionally true.) When editmenus is false, the card scrolls up on a
Mac to hide the group and the system menu bar shows your own menu. The
IDE however has set the default menu bar to its own, which is good,
because you can get back to the LC menus by clicking in any IDE stack,
like the tools palette or an inspector. When you click back into your
own stack, your custom menu reappears.

Usually I leave editmenus set to true during development so the IDE
menus are always available. If I want to use my own menus, I just use
the mouse to select items since keyboard shortcuts won't always work.
It's a small inconvenience I don't mind because I'm a heavy keyboard
user with the IDE menus. When I want to see how things look in an app, I
set editmenus back to false, or suspend development tools.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com