LC7 & Unicode

TEDennis tedennis at softwaredetails.com
Wed Mar 11 09:27:14 EDT 2015

re:  Internally, the LC7 engine only uses Unicode if it has to.  If your
application only uses native strings,
then LC7 will only use native strings.  Built-in Unicode support has very
little to do with the fact that LC7 is slower for some workload

I don't now, and don't intend to, use Unicode.

I don't want *ANY* overhead associated with a feature I don't use.

How does LC7 detect Unicode is being used?

Can we turn off that detection, thus eliminating Unicode processing?

How can we determine whether or not Unicode is being "used"?

My situation: I create a "chunk" of data by concatenating binary data to
"native strings".  Then, I save the chunk into a large roll-your-own
one-record-at-a-time "database".  If LC7 is somehow automatically detecting
Unicode, perhaps my "blob" of data is fooling it into thinking it's Unicode.

There are 165,000+ records in my DB.  Yes, I know a datastore of that size
should use SQLite, or some other database handler.  But, it started out 8
years ago being less than 1,000 records.  Imagine my surprise when the
quick-n-dirty stack slowly morphed into a real app.

Incidentally, the "blob" also includes native HTML text.  Could that be
involved somehow in Unicode detection?

TED