Text Field in LC 7

BNig bernd.niggemann at uni-wh.de
Sun Mar 8 04:08:54 EDT 2015

Hi Jerry,

modTableField has the same performance as a similar field (i.e. tabbed date,
vScroll on) without "mod".

The performance of live resizing in LC 7.x.x is less than stellar for a
field with more than about 1000 lines.

The overhead of resizeControl in modTableField is negligible.

Until LC 7.x.x speeds up rendering of text field for larger amount of data
during live resizing I resorted to a trick.
When resizing I only leave only 100 lines of data in the field and then live
resizing is quite good. After resizing is done I put the original amount of
data back into the field.

I have put up a stack with a sample modTableField that has 5000 lines of
data that demonstrates this.

http://berndniggemann.on-rev.com/resizestack/ResizeStackMTF3.livecode.zip

Of course this is a hack but I figure since resizing a stack is not done
very often the improved performance will compensate for some pecularities.

But sort order is preserved and selectedLine restored after resizing.

I think this is better than not being able to live resize the stack at all.

the resizeStack script is in the card script.

Kind regards

Bernd