Valuable tip re. v7's Save As

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Mar 7 12:52:08 EST 2015

I recently learned that the Save As option in v7 is even smarter than
I'd thought:

Most of us already know it allows us save our stack files in any format
we like, using the current v7 format by default or any legacy version
going back more than a decade.

But Mark Waddingham recently mentioned a detail about it that I didn't
now before: the IDE's Save As goes further, setting a
cREVGeneral["stackFileVersion"] custom property in your stack, so that
all subsequent saves by the IDE in v7 will save in whatever format you
last specified in the Save As dialog.

In short, when migrating work to v7 in which you need to maintain
compatibility with older engines, you only need to select the older
format in Save As once, and from then on any save done by the IDE will
use the format you'd specified.

Super-convenient.  Almost no reason not to be at least testing in v7. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems