Beyond PowerStatus: Concurrency options

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Mar 7 12:37:35 EST 2015

Now that members of the community have pulled together in such a stellar
way to get a very good PowerStatus option we can use, perhaps we can go
back to the original exploration that drove that discussion: concurrency.

I first expressed a desire for a PowerStatus function in the older
thread "Because LC can't do two things at once", at the end of this post
which also covers some thoughts on concurrency options available to us:
<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2015-February/211536.html>

The post also includes a link to a simple stack that demonstrates some
of the things that made me aware of the usefulness of a PowerStatus
function, using simple timers for background processing loops:
<http://www.fourthworld.net/channels/lc/IdleHour.rev>

If exploring concurrency options is of interest here, we might consider
two categories of such things:

- A) Stuff we can do now with what we have (mostly timers and/or
      multiple faceless LC instances as worker processes)

- B) Stuff we could do if only we had X (where X is what we'd need
      to define)

Is concurrency something we want to pursue for LiveCode?

What can we do now, and what would we like for the future?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems