Text Field in LC 7

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Mar 6 22:41:52 EST 2015

Peter Haworth wrote:

 > Maybe a factor of how many lines of data?  Or possibly that
 > your data had tabs in it and mine didn't?

Interesting thought, Peter.  It prompted me to experiment - a few
observations:

- The field's dontWrap is false, but the text isn't wrapping (IMO this
is a bug).

- If I replace tab with space in the field the wrapping behaves normally.

- With the original tabs in place, when I set the field's listBehavior
to true performance improves dramatically.

- When I set the vgrid to true it improves a little more.  Not bad,
since most uses cases for displaying tabular data will likely use this.

- Comparing to Apple's TextEdit to see what performance looks like
there, it turns out no comparison is possible because Apple doesn't even
attempt line wrapping during resize, deferring that for when the resize
action ends after the mouse is released.  Might is be useful to have a
field property for similar effect in LiveCode?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems