on-rev outage

Ralph DiMola rdimola at evergreeninfo.net
Fri Mar 6 15:42:19 EST 2015

Kevin,

Thanks for the update and explanation! This is why I love RR. I received
personal emails from both David and Heather and now this email from the CEO.
Can't get that type of communication from every company.

I once had this problem on a trip to Japan to install a new system in 1985.
I only had one backup tape with me and the disk failed(no RAID in those
days) during the final backup so I had nothing. I had to wait 1.5 days to
get a offsite backup tape flown in from NY. Embarrassing to be sure but I
learned to always use alternating tapes when I was off-site. The only
suggestion I can make(if RAID 1) is to remove and rotate raid disks so if
both fail there is always the "last pulled" drive to revert to. Upgrade to
RAID 6 that allows for 2 failed drives without loss of data.

Short of an Google type of datacenter the on-rev up-time has been great.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
rdimola at evergreeninfo.net