Fwd: Quantum tunneling in LiveCode

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Tue Mar 3 14:16:47 EST 2015

While on the subject of out-of-the-normal message paths, I came across
another one a couple of months ago.

openControl messages are sent to the highest level group and then DOWN to
any of it's child groups which seems the opposite of the normal message
direction.

It gets more interesting though.  Let's say you have a group hierarchy like
this:

Group A
   GroupA.1 (child of groupA)
      GroupA.1.1 (child of groupA.1)

If all these groups have openControl handlers, they fire in the following
order

GroupA
GroupA.1
GroupA
GroupA.1.1
GroupA.1
GroupA

So not only do these messages go down to each child group but they also
come back up again!  In the above example, the openControl for GroupA is
executed 3 times, GroupA.1 twice, and GroupA.1.1 just once.

I submitted a bug report for this some time ago (#14091) and it's been
stuck in Expert Review status for about 3 months.  I don't know if it's a
bug or not but it certainly seems like odd behavior and could certainly
screw up whatever logic you have in an openControl handler.

Pete