DB connection times

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Mar 1 12:27:06 EST 2015

Dr. Hawkins and others have noted that the time required for LC to
connect to a database can be long enough to add up under load.

To get a good feel for the implications of this, and to explore options
for possibly mitigating it, it would be helpful if any of you happen to
have measurements of that connection time.

On the one hand, for LC to connect to a DB does require quite a few
steps: your code is interpreted, passed from the engine to the external,
the external reformats it into a form the DB will understand, then the
DB works with it and sends back a value, which then is reformatted by
the external and sent back to the engine, which then delivers it to your
script.

But on the other hand, each of those steps should be pretty small, and
most of them are taking place in compiled object code.

I may take the time in the future to set up some tests to measure
connection times myself, but before I do it seems useful to see if any
of you already have such measurements.

If you do, I'd be very interested in hearing what sorts of times you
find not only for connections, but queries as well.

TIA -

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems