How to Teach Coding

dunbarx at aol.com dunbarx at aol.com
Tue Jun 30 13:26:44 EDT 2015

Richmond.

A nice thing you are doing.

I take a slightly different approach. I put a few controls on the screen, and then move the mouse around, asking what sort of things (events) might be occurring. Nobody gets what I mean at first, until I explain that I am sending messages to the machine when, say, I simply move the cursor (mouseMove).

Most will see that something happens when I click the mouse, and if I say that the machine "knows" where a button is, it also knows when the cursor crosses that threshold (mouseEnter). From there I get several responses, like when the mouse leaves. Nobody ever gets "mouseStillDown">

Anyway, from there I can start to show how if I send a message, I can trap a message, and the rest is easy.

Well, not necessarily easy...

Craig Newman