recursionlimit mystery!

Sebastien Nouat sebastien.nouat at livecode.com
Thu Jul 30 04:55:47 EDT 2015

Hi Bruce,

Good news: if you have a look at the bug report, the last comment is a
link to the GitHub pull request in which the bug is addressed.

The milestone of the pull request is 7.1.0 RC 1, so in the next version
of LiveCode 7.1 that will be released, the bug will be fixed :)

Regards,

Sébastien

On 27/07/2015 01:43, Bruce Pokras wrote:
> Update: this is bug report 15602. The response from the Livecode folks is that 7.0.x is using 16-bit numbers for the recursionlimit property, so Jacque hit the nail on the head. However, in 6.x.x they were using 32-bit numbers, so my setting a very high recursion limit actually did have an effect. They confirm that this is a bug. No promise on the timing of a fix, though.
>
>> On Jul 14, 2015, at 2:57 PM, J. Landman Gay <jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 7/13/2015 9:23 PM, Bruce Pokras wrote:
>>> The first time I opened the stack in 7.0.6 that had been developed
>>> under 6.0.2 I received an error message related to the “openstack”
>>> command in the stack script. It said that the value to which I had
>>> set the recursionlimit property “is not a number.” The value I used
>>> was 20000000. Looks like a number to me! (I am on a Mac, so the
>>> Windows issue does not effect me). I tried various numbers until I
>>> finally narrowed it down. Attempting to set the recursionlimit
>>> property to any number greater than 65535 gives me an error that that
>>> value is not a number. Also, setting the recursionlimit to a low
>>> number like 40 does not work as expected. After setting the
>>> recursionlimit property to 40 I typed “put the recursionlimit” into
>>> the message box and hit “return.” The number that it returned was in
>>> the high 30-thousands!
>>
>> I'm not sure about the 30,000 issue, but 65535 is the upper limit for a 16-bit number. It may be that earlier versions of LC just didn't throw any errors if you exceeded that.
>>
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/65535_(number)>
>> "65535 occurs frequently in the field of computing because it is the highest number which can be represented by an unsigned 16-bit binary number. Some computer programming environments may have predefined constant values representing 65535, with names like MAX_UNSIGNED_SHORT."
>>

>> --

Sébastien Nouat
LiveCode Development Team