Livecode and "Extended Validation" SSL certificates

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Jul 11 10:33:55 EDT 2015

On July 11, 2015 8:26:07 AM CDT, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

>I've seen a similar issue with an app I make that uses a similar cert
>on
>the server we use for storage,  but here the problem is intermittent so
>
>I've been reluctant to file a bug report until I can pin down a
>reliable
>recipe.
>
>Is this issue consistently reproducible for you?

I had the same intermittent problem and I've seen it from others over the years. The only resolution is to turn off verification checking. As I understand it, the failure happens because the user's SSL certificate can't be validated against the server's, so failures will occur with some users and not others.

The failure can happen at any point in the chain. Level 1 is the certificate on the user's machine. We sometimes saw failures at levels 2 or 3, which would be the certs on servers somewhere in the intermediate hops. That meant the failure was sometimes intermittent for the same user depending on the path the request took to the server.

My knowledge of this stuff is rudimentary so someone else may be better qualified to answer, but I believe that's the layman's explanation.
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com