Where to put on windows an option file accessable for all users?

Peter TB Brett peter.brett at livecode.com
Tue Jul 7 05:42:46 EDT 2015

On 2015-07-07 10:12, Tiemo Hollmann TB wrote:

> I have an option file, which should be read/writable for all users.

Hi Tiemo,

Please note that this goes against security best practice.
Configuration files that are readable by all users should only be
writable to privileged users, i.e. administrators.  If all users can
read and write a single configuration file, this is very often an
exploitable security flaw.

If at all possible, I recommend to design your software so that each
user gets his or her own configuration file.  The "virtualisation" that
you are complaining about is actually a security *feature* in Windows in
order to work around flaws in older software that attempts to use a
single, "all users" configuration file!

                                         Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <peter.brett at livecode.com>