extracting the thumbnail from digital photos?

Malte Brill revolution at derbrill.de
Thu Jan 22 05:42:12 EST 2015

Hi Al!

Thanks so much for taking the time to look into this and sorry for my late reply. I was on the road without any access to the interwebs the last 3 days.

Looking at your script it makes a lot of sense, however, I can not get it to work if the images I have here. The resulting jpeg Data is 2 bytes long, so I do not get a no thumbnail answer, however, I not get a valid thumbnail either. Using an exif viewer I see that a thumbnail is embedded. Migth the SOI EOI markers be different depending on camera vendor?? If so, I will have to give up this idea. Not sure why it fails otherwise.

All the best and thanks again,

Malte