A Got-Ya

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 21:14:20 EST 2015

Two things to consider:

1. It's almost impossible to catch conflicts with custom properties. They
don't have to be mentioned by name in a script because:
2. It's a feature that custom property names can be stored/referenced using
variables. For example:

   repeat for each item P in "left,top"
      -- not custom properties, but the same principle applies
        set the P of button "example" to 10 * trunc(the P of button
"example" / 10)
   end repeat

If you have a large number of custom properties to initialize, this allows
you to do something like:

   put "cProp1,23 cProp2,18 cProp3,98" into P
   split P using space and comma
   repeat for each key K in P
      set the K of button "example" to P[K]
   end repeat

In neither of these cases would it be easily detectible to the compiler
what (custom) properties are being referenced, and these cases aren't close
to pathological. On the other hand, simply disallowing the use of a
variable to store/reference a (custom) property would be a significant loss
of functionality.