Advice on free app and user security

William Prothero prothero at earthednet.org
Mon Jan 19 16:58:04 EST 2015

Thanks for the interesting comments.

One thing I like to do is have a configuration file on a db on my server, so I can set specific parameters without the need to update the app. My current app accesses help files using the revBrowser and links to my html help (on my server) and a youtube demo movie. This way I can update the help files, add to them, etc, without requiring updating the app. Of course, I could have a link to a web page that does the same thing, but when the student using the app is focussed on their assignment, it’s nice to have help front and center.

What I had planned was that there would be 2 installation modes. One would be in a lab setting where multiple students use the software. Another would be individual installations, probably by students in an online class or for homework assignments. The lab setting would require only one registration. I would inform the person doing the installation that there would be a usage item sent to the server, with a promise that the data will not contain personally identifiable information. That would be up front, and required. I haven’t yet decided about the individual student, but it would be nice if I could differentiate between frequent users and those who only try out the app.

Regards,
Bill