extracting the thumbnail from digital photos?

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 15:42:36 EST 2015

Hi Malte,

Out of curiosity (and just to test if I am correct about this)
I started looking around among the jpg files stored in my
Ubuntu PC (using the command line utility exiftool)

Found that most jpg images, although they have exif data,
do not have a thumbnail image.

So, from this webpage:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/fuji-x100t/FULLRES/X100ThSLI00100NR2D.HTM

I downloaded this 8 MB image:
http://216.18.212.226/PRODS/fuji-x100t/FULLRES/X100ThSLI00100NR2D.JPG

This 8 MB JPG image actually have a thumbnail inside
the Exif data.

In any Hexadecimal file editor (in Ubuntu, I am using Bless)
select this range:
FROM:0x750 TO:0x29e4 (or)
FROM:0x750 TO:+8853 (bytes)

Copy the selection, create a new file and paste this range.
Save this new file as (for example) X100thumbnail.jpg

This proves that Exif data stores the thumbnail as a complete JPG file.
I am sure that you could repeat these steps inside Livecode.

Have a nice week!

Al