How to access a file on a remote computer

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 23:45:11 EST 2015

On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 12:19 PM, Dr. Hawkins <dochawk at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I still end up
> with files created by my assistant on my machine being unwritable by me,
> and vice versa.

Where on the machine is the file being stored so that it's accessable
by both of you? Shared?, Public?

One problem can be, if you have shared folders of the same name. ie in
the example I gave the Mac normally gives the Public folder and
extended name, such as YOURNAME's Public Folder to avoid confusion
with other Public folders. This is not the case for Shared. If you
have access to several different Shared folders I think behind the
scenes OS X names them Shared, Shared-1, Shared-2 etc. Same thing can
happen if you share a common named folder, such as Documents, Music,
Photos. If there is already a shared volume of the same name, then
invisibly the next one accessed will be appended a number. Therefore
put URL may not work as it's pointed to a different computer and
whilst a folder of the same name exists, the file you are looking for
doesn't.