Extended Log Format or custom?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jan 17 18:51:39 EST 2015

Mark Wieder wrote:
> Saturday, January 17, 2015, 12:13:49 PM, you wrote:
>
>> Right now most of the log analysis done with these apps is done in other
>> LiveCode-based tools, so it would seem the choice is easily in favor of
>> a custom format optimized for parsing and sorting in LC.
>
>> But in all fairness, it's usually a good move to adopt common standards
>> whenever possible, even at some cost to efficiency, since it allows the
>> possibility of interoperability with other tools down the road if needed.
>
> There's your dilemma. I'd go with the option that makes your log
> analysis easier, and then have a quick routine that processes the
> dates in your log for export to another format as needed. The option
> of interoperability makes sense when and if it's needed, but I
> wouldn't consider it a tipping point right now. Just make sure you
> don't paint yourself into a corner.

Thanks, Mark.  You make a good point there:  it's easy enough to make a
converter tool (esp. since the fields will be the same, it's mostly just
the delimiters and time format I'm taking liberties with), and far
better to handle it in non-real-time than to waste clock cycles on a server.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems