Extended Log Format or custom?

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sat Jan 17 17:42:50 EST 2015

Richard-

> Right now most of the log analysis done with these apps is done in other
> LiveCode-based tools, so it would seem the choice is easily in favor of
> a custom format optimized for parsing and sorting in LC.

> But in all fairness, it's usually a good move to adopt common standards
> whenever possible, even at some cost to efficiency, since it allows the
> possibility of interoperability with other tools down the road if needed.

There's your dilemma. I'd go with the option that makes your log
analysis easier, and then have a quick routine that processes the
dates in your log for export to another format as needed. The option
of interoperability makes sense when and if it's needed, but I
wouldn't consider it a tipping point right now. Just make sure you
don't paint yourself into a corner.

--
-Mark Wieder
 ahsoftware at gmail.com

This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National
Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email do not
consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any
related metadata, as well as printing, copying, re-transmitting,
disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you believe you have received
this communication in error, please delete it immediately.