Crash-a-lot just became critical

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 16:50:34 EST 2015

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 1:11 PM, Colin Holgate <coiin at verizon.net> wrote:

> Is it really the case that LiveCode does no logging to Console at all?

I'm not sure where those would go when launched from a GUI.  But all I get
is "application quit unexpectedly"

> That aside, would a screensharing session with Edinburgh have any value?
> Them watching it crash might lead to some ideas, without needing the source
> code.

I *think* I just got the id.

I'm about to update the bug.

It appears that it will, only sometimes and randomly, happen when
referencing an object that doesn't exist in a stack that was opened as a
palette.  When I changed how the stack was opened (stack command instead of
palette), normal errors were thrown.  mouseEnter also seems to be involved.

I'm stepping out on a limb, here, but the "randomness" may have to do with
the order in which events are sent, or which elements were crosse between
(button boundary, stack boundary).

After doing this, I seem to only get a "normal" number of IDE crashes (now
that I think of it, it's about like the frequency of the old
shadow-variable bug biting, and that doesn't seem to be happening as
much)--about every 10-30 minutes.  I haven't crashed my standalone yet.

There are an annoying number of apparently undocumented changes in the new
engine with regard to message handling--I had apparently been relying on
mouseEnter being sent to a stack itself, which 5.x does not do.  I've seen
and forgotten one or two more like that.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462