Project Browser vs App Browser (was "script scope variables inexplicably becoming unset")

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 22:02:54 EST 2015

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 9:52 PM, Mark Wieder <mwieder at ahsoftware.net> wrote:

> Richard-
>
> Sunday, January 4, 2015, 5:21:36 PM, you wrote:
>
> > Once you've sold it, any open source license lets that person
> redistribute
> > freely.
>
> While I should know better than to argue legal matters with a lawyer...
> You're wrong about that.

I'd actually agree with the way you're using "open source", although others
would disagree and try to tun it into their version of "free software"

It is entirely possible to have an open source license that doesn't meet
the "free software" definitions.

> What I do for open-source licensing for PowerDebug and PowerTools is
> distribute an unlocked stack. People still have to purchase the stack
> from my website and download it from there using their registration
> code, but they are free to examine the code, modify it, learn from it
> (ha!), amuse themselves, without restriction. They also don't get
> updates without downloading them from the website, again using their
> registration code. The right to distribute it themselves in any form,
> modified or no, is explicitly denied by the license.
>
> This is open source software but not free software (in either sense of
> the term).

I'd agree.

Basically, the code can be licensed without any right to redistribute.
--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462