Moving a Group Smoothly

Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Sat Jan 3 23:06:48 EST 2015

This has probably been asked and answered 100 times.

Because of the iOS limitation on opening substacks (no second windows
allowed)

I have set up a whole piece of the UI that I would normally put onto a
substack... into a group...

A "close" button and GUI clean up routine in the preopenstack handler
pushes the group below the visible area to  291,1204

I just want the group to "slide up" smoothly and very quickly. But this
script, in the 7.01 IDE performs very badly:

on mouseUp
    lock messages
    move group "SettingsDialog"  from 291,1204 to 291,351 without waiting
end mouseUp

The group moves up slowly and "stutters" as it moves. For modern UI/UX
we really need elegant motion graphics behavior across the whole platform.

Can this be improved?  Is perfectly smooth motion even possible now in
LiveCode? I realize it was never so great years ago, but I've been doing
so much server side LC work in the past few years and hardly touched the
presentation layer of app development until recently...and all my in
house production tools apps are very plain/functional designs with zero
eye candy.   I thought motion would have much improved by now. What am I
doing wrong?

(Mac OS X Yosemite)

Brahmanathaswami