LiveCode 7.0.3: a new meme

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 20:26:57 EST 2015

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 8:35 AM, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com>
wrote:

> But it really was very small, arguably more so than it's now big.
>
> One of the smallest apps on my Mac right now is Apple's calculator,
> weighing in a 9.5 MBs, ... compared to the LiveCode 7.0.3 runtime engine
> that does so much more in just 12.9 MBs.
>
> That's not quite comparing apples with Apples. The original question was
re iOS. On iOS my Scientific Calculator is 241 KB in size. I have at least
a dozen iOS apps which are less than 1 MB and plenty which are single digit
MB. The smallest simplest LC 7.x iOS app I've made seems to come in at
about 22MB.

Now I tend to agree that these are all very small numbers and could be
considered insignificant if performance were not an issue BUT correctly or
incorrectly people naturally associate bloated size, with bloated code,
with bloated start up and execution times.

Once people know how fast it can run, it's hard for them to accept slower
performance. When LC 7.x is as fast as or faster than LC 6.x in identical
tests (i.e. a large non-unicode data parse) all thoughts of size will
magically disappear.