The owner of a selected control - a mystery

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Feb 24 10:49:12 EST 2015

The issue here is that this is a built-in feature of not only the OS X
PutFile dialog, but also the ones in Windows and Linux, and it used to
work in LC as it does in any other program, prompting us right in the
dialog when we're about to save something that will overwrite an
existing file.

It's not the end of the world to let the dialog be completed, check for
the existence of a file with the same name, let the user know with an
answer dialog, and then re-open the PutFile dialog. It's just not how
other programs do it.

I haven't tested on Windows, but this issue also occurs in Linux.
Perhaps there's a flag that's included in the OS PutFile call, I don't
know, but oddly enough this seems to affect at least two platforms, and
since it used to work beautifully and has since been confirmed (thanks
for submitting the bug report, Graham), hopefully we'll see the
HIG-savvy behavior restored in the next build.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems