HTML muddle

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Feb 18 13:08:50 EST 2015

Graham Samuel wrote:

 > I just tried it and of course it works, but I can’t quite see
 > what’s happening inside LC. I mean, I can select the field
 > within my stack which has the formatted text in it, copy it
 > and paste it into Word, and bingo! it looks the same. There
 > is no obvious sign that Word thinks it was formatted in HTML.

When text is rendered on screen (in LC, Word, or even a Web browser),
it's a binary structure of text and style runs.

None of the formatting per se is in html/htmlText.  Those are just
plain-text ways to *describe* formatting, but not the formatting itself.

Any renderer, such as LiveCode or a browser, will need to interpret
those html/htmlText descriptions into text with style runs.

HtmlText is simply an intermediary format generated from the binary
style run data when obtained from a field, and interpreted into binary
style run data when applied to a field.

If this isn't confusing enough, take some time to experiment with the
relatively new styledText field property.  It returns an array of the
text and style runs within a field object in a way that more closely
reflects how the engine handles these things under the hood.

Not only will styledText give you a new appreciation for how programs
render styled text, but once you get the hang of working with it you'll
find it's often much faster for identifying and manipulating style info
in field contents than htmlText.

For example, last week I needed to find runs of text in a field that had
linkText values.  In htmlText the performance wasn't bad, but when I
rewrote that to use a styledText array it took only half as long.

Getting close to the engine is rarely a bad thing.

Know the engine.
Trust the engine.
Use the engine.

--