[TIC: Tongue in Cheek] Re: IDE oddities (was Re: Error Messages Are Evil)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Feb 10 13:24:40 EST 2015

Mark Wieder wrote:

> Richard-
>
> Thursday, May 15, 2014, 2:34:38 PM, you wrote:
>
>> On another note, as I promised you last week I did ask Ben if RunRev
>> planned on open-sourcing the On-Rev real-time debugger.  He's not sure
>> and will check with Kevin, but he did confirm my hunch that it requires
>> specific sockets open on the server so it won't be useful for anyone on
>> a shared host, only a dedicated server where they can run custom
>> daemons.  I'll let you know when I hear back from him on that.
>
>> Also, he let me know that the developer working on it reports that he's
>> about a week or two away from completion.  Nothing set in stone, of
>> course, because it's a busy place there with team members wearing
>> multiple hats, but at the moment things look promising for a rollout of
>> the new On-Rev debugger reasonably soon.
>
> <sigh>
> (9 months later...) sadly, that seems to have died out.

My understanding is that the real-time debugger was reinstated on the
On-Rev hosting service some months ago.  If you're an On-Rev customer
and don't see it available please write On-Rev support to find out when
it will be installed on your server. I'd also be interested to know if
there are any servers remaining there that don't have it, since I was
under the impression it was rolled out service-wide some time ago.

As for the open-source version, I spoke with Ben about that a few
minutes ago, and he'll check with David there who's been the engineering
lead to find out when the source will be posted to GitHub.

One thing Ben noted, though, is that the nature of the real-time
debugger will be of limited value to most LiveCode Server users, since
it requires modifying the Apache environment.  This makes it a
non-starter for pretty much any shared hosting service, though it should
be runnable on a dedicated server or VPS.

I'll report back when I hear more on that open source build.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  LiveCode Community Manager
  richard at livecode.org