[not quite OT] Serving a standalone

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 23:01:24 EST 2015

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 4:28 AM, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com>
wrote:

> But when exploring desktop vs mobile, you'll need to make different
> layouts for each anyway, so why not do both?

I think this is the most important point of all. In all the 'one code for
all platforms' hype of LC there is the reality that there must be platform
dependant code and you must be aware of the idiosyncrasies of each
platform. In Bill's original post he mentioned the desire not to have to
rewrite code for each platform, so my emphasis on realising what approach
will not work for iOS. With that in mind, the suggestion to have a desktop
Splash Stack that can easily access AppBasic, AppPlus and AppPro stacks,
but to submit these as separate apps to the Apple seems to be an economical
way to code. I assume in reality there would a Library stack involved as
well, with most of the core code in Library so the desktop would be Splash
+ Library + AppBasic + AppPlus + AppPro whilst the submissions for iOS
would be Library + AppBasic, and Library + AppPlus, and Library + AppPro.

Just when you thought you had it figured out I'll throw a curve ball -
referring to Bill here. How well do you know your customers? Do any of the
schools or institutions you are targeting own an iOS Enterprise License.
These allow for in house development of apps, therefore no Apple approval
process so you can Splash Stack in iOS to your hearts content. It can be
financially sensible for a school to have an Enterprise License. If you
have 10 kids in a Coding Club who want to develop iOS apps then that's $990
for individual licenses but if the School purchases an Enterprise License
it's only $299 shared between all members. Your hurdle is to be approved as
a Developer on their license but if you can, you can offer faster updates
and customise their Splash stack to be an image of their school emblem or
whatever to show that it's their App for their School/University/College.
This would also involve a different pricing strategy as you'd no longer be
selling to individuals and donating 30% to Apple's Old Age Retirement Fund,
but selling direct site licenses and possibly even site licenses that for
an extra $350 you'll set them up with an Apple Enterprise License so the CS
Students can have a go at developing iOS apps for a lot less cash. You'd
have to weigh that against advertisement potential of being in the Apple
Store. As I said, a curve ball.