[not quite OT] Serving a standalone

William Prothero prothero at earthednet.org
Sun Feb 8 22:21:57 EST 2015

Richard and Kay:
Thanks for the stimulating thoughts.

Each of your arguments are very persuasive. And it seems that the most important thing is where you decide to start. If you focus is on mobile, Kay’s approach is the most sensible. I like Richard’s for desktop, but would expect to have to modify it to get it on iOS.

Re-iterating the two approaches:
1. Make iOs apps and create enhancements, like say “myApp basic”, “myApp Plus”, “myApp Pro”, etc. This means you would probably have a bunch of apps in the store with a common code part and a specialized part.
2. Make desktop app with Splash system, like Richard uses. Later, going to iOS would mean combining bits of the various pieces that get downloaded by the Splash app into a single app for iOS, and eliminating features unacceptable to Apple.

One factor is that going the iOS/App store route, you don’t know anything about your customers. I’m interested in educational apps that might be used in colleges, high schools, maybe even middle schools. I would really like to know my users. Of course, I could have a Facebook page where folks might log in and express their ideas, but… hmmm…..

But, it sounds to me like taking a bunch of pieces from a system like Richard describes and combining them into an iOS app might be a reasonable way to start. I would have to carefully structure it so features that wouldn’t be acceptable to Apple could be broken out easily. Just thinking. One of the pieces I plan on involves online writing and peer review. This part might not be so attractive on an iPad and certainly not on an iPhone.

Bill