Question re project organization

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 05:22:55 EST 2015

Bill,

I'm no expert, and certainly less so with regard to what is OK by Apple for
iOS, all I know is the Splash Stack solution is not viable if you plan to
go down the iOS route. Someone who's had experience with 'In App' purchases
might be able to answer if that might be an avenue to look into.

I can understand why you're tired of rewrites. I'm not saying you can do
what you want to in iOS, but if you figure it out, whatever the approach
is, it should work for desktop as well.

There is no problem with iOS connecting to remote DBs, as long as the data
is downloaded into the appropriate sandbox and it's static data, not code
to be run. Your challenge would be to accurately separate what is really
code from what is just a resource.

>From my perspective I wonder really how much difference there is between
the code for your basic app compared to the fully enhanced version? Videos,
images, explanations, these are not code, just resources so there is no
restriction on downloading them and adding/removing them to the users
Documents folder. They can be changed and updated frequently, no problem.
Lets say your Enhanced Stack can play Videos but the Basic Stack can not.
In this case the user hasn't downloaded videos, your code would check that
there are no videos and so there would be no button or option to play
videos via your substack video player. When a User eventually downloads
videos, then the Play Video option would be available or become visible and
so your substack video player is now accessible. i.e you create a fully
enhanced stack + substacks with all the code in them (which Apple gives the
OK to) but the code has the ability to ignore bits and pieces based on the
resources downloaded.

If you create a new podcast every week that you want your stack to play, or
an instructional video on youTube which you want the link added to a links
page in your app; these are just resources and would be easy to access via
your original code that would need no modification.

Of course if you are talking about enhancements that you haven't thought of
yet, and adding these as they present themselves; unfortunately iOS will
require new code, a new submission, and the opportunity to advertise you
have a new bigger and better version ;-)