Precision and 'abs'

Peter W A Wood peterwawood at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 07:17:28 EST 2015

Graham

I think that it is a documentation error. As far as I know, LiveCode uses binary floating point numbers when performing arithmetic. Not all non-whole decimal numbers cannot be accurate represented in binary floating point numbers. I cannot see how just comparing the absolute value of the difference between two numbers will be any more accurate than comparing the numbers.

This problem isn’t by any means unique to LiveCode. Here is a Windows JavaScript example that shows the same behaviour:

var a = 1.0 + 2.0;
var b = 3.0;
if (a === b) {
  res = 'correct';
 }{
  res = 'incorrect';
 }
WScript.Echo('a === b ' + res);
if (Math.abs(a - b) === 0) {
  res = 'correct';
}{
  res = 'incorrect';
}
WScript.Echo('abs (a - b) === 0 ' + res);

It displays incorrect for both comparisons. (To run the script save it in a file with the extension .js and double-click on it - for Windows only)

The normal workaround in JavaScript is to perform all calculations using integers and then scaling the numbers down when you want to display them.

Regards

Peter

This is an enhancement request (Bug 9349) for LiveCode to use decimal floating point numbers in place of binary floating point numbers.