More questions regarding Server oddities

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Fri Dec 25 19:35:41 EST 2015

On 25/12/2015 22:36, Lyn Teyla wrote:
> If you’re curious as to why the meta tag happens to work with
> revServer 3.5 but not later versions of LiveCode Server such as 6.6.2:
> The technical reason is that older versions such as revServer, by
> default, output the following HTTP header if the above "put header"
> statement isn’t specified: Content-Type: text/html Since no charset is
> specified by default, some web browsers then take the meta tag into
> account. Later versions of LiveCode Server (including the current
> versions), by default, output the following HTTP header if the above
> "put header" statement isn’t specified: Content-Type: text/html;
> charset=iso-8859-1 While this change in the default behavior of
> LiveCode Server is a somewhat unorthodox (I personally don’t agree
> with the concept of forcing a particular charset by default), it might
> be a stretch to call it a bug, since there’s a perfectly valid way of
> specifying the charset using the "put header" method.
Thanks Lyn - I had neither known nor understood that - so I am grateful
for the explanation.

I thought Tim had said he had tried your "put header" suggestion - but I
see on more careful reading that I was remembering responses in the
wrong order - apologies for that.

Re. the question of which version, I do wish on-rev would support
something along the lines of what HostM do ...

> Note that you can nevertheless utilize a specific major version of
> LiveCode Server via the use of the following file extensions in your
> HostM acccount:|.lc6|,|.lc7|,|.lc7x64|,|.lc8|, and|.lc8x64|.

(that's, of course, in addition to all the usual .htaccess methods)
-- Alex.