Death of the Application Browser

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 23:04:42 EST 2015

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 4:45 PM, Geoff Canyon <gcanyon at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 2:41 PM, J. Landman Gay <jacque at hyperactivesw.com>
>  wrote:
>
>> Okay, good to know. As Hermann mentioned, he had to learn its
>> capabilities by reading our discussion. That's a problem I have with
>> Navigator too. Its actions can be obscure to the uninitiated and the
>> documentation is hard to use because it covers up what it's explaining.
>> There are some other usability issues that could benefit from a rework to
>> make Navigator easier for new users to understand.
>

> ​Yeah, apparently I could document better... That's a good point about the
> placement of the documentation, and easily fixed. If you care to list any
> other usability issues I'm all ears.​

​I had forgotten that I already took care of this. There was so much
documentation that it was contributing significantly to the byte-size of
Navigator. Also, formatting it well, and referencing other material (I've
made some videos, although they aren't included yet). So I pulled out all
the documentation and put it here:
https://gcanyon.wordpress.com/navigator-documentation/. A link to the docs
is still included directly in Navigator's about display.

This of course applies to the most recent updates of Navigator. I've just
added a preference setting for the display font size, and to toggle the
lines in the display. That version will be available after I've tested it.

I also noticed that Navigator already had a preference to display a tooltip
with the long id of the control in the list the pointer is over, but I find
that terribly distracting. I'm amazed it still works, since I haven't used
it in a decade.

gc