Death of the Application Browser

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 17:37:10 EST 2015

I'm not sure I understand. If you have two buttons that you want to work
with, and the buttons are each three groups deep on separate cards in
separate stacks, then if you were looking at button "a" and wanted to look
at button "b" wouldn't a column view require you to:

1. Click on the stack containing button "b"
2. Click on the card in the stack containing button "b"
3. Click on the group on the card in the stack containing button "b"
4. Click on the group within that group on the card in the stack containing
button "b"
5. Click on button "b" to do whatever with it.

...and then rinse and repeat each time you want to switch

With Navigator you can either:

1. Open two copies of Navigator.
2. In one, navigate to button "a"
3. In one, navigate to button "b"

... and then leave both Navigators that way so you can easily work on the
two buttons.

Or:
1. Navigate to button "a" and bookmark it
2. Navigate to button "b" and bookmark it
3. Work with the bookmarks in any way you like.

And note that you can rename the bookmarks any way you like, so although
they start as something like:

     button "Button" [1008] of card id 1002 of stack "Untitled 1"

You could change it to:

     Account Management Library -- button "Button" [1008] of card id 1002
of stack "Untitled 1"

And as an aside, Navigator has two easy ways of filtering controls:

The filter box simply filters on the text displayed in Navigator, so it's
easy to type "button" to see only buttons (assuming no fields are named
"button") or type (part of) the id of a control to show it.

The Filter... command on the Actions menu lets you type any livecode you
like, using tID to reference the control in question. So for example, this
will work as a filter:

word 1 of the name of tID is "button" and (the height of tID is 30 or char
3 of the short name of tID is "b")

gc