Death of the Application Browser

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 01:53:26 EST 2015

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 3:41 PM, J. Landman Gay <jacque at hyperactivesw.com>
wrote:

> 1. Horizontal/column view so it is easy to drill down from stack to card
> to object, and see their relationships to everything else. Basically I want
> Finder column view.

Navigator doesn't do the Finder column view exactly -- there is a menu with
all the cards listed, and you can select any of them to see everything on
that card. There's also a card list view, which shows all the cards (in
case there are too many to show on a menu) and you can right-click any card
to browse its controls. The list is filterable (as all control lists are)
to make it easy to find the one you're looking for.

> 2. I need to see card numbers and object layer numbers.

Navigator doesn't do this at all -- it never occurred to me. What's the
purpose? It would be easy to add in general, but maybe a little bother to
get right with the filtering.

> 3. I need to see IDs for all cards and objects.

Done, this is a preference setting.

> 4. I need the ability to open the property inspector for an unselected
> object for quick reference, without changing the current selection or
> location.

In the preferences, unhilite AutoUpdate Selection. Then either right click
and select Object Inspector (N) or set the prefs so a double-click,
option-double-click, or option-command-double-click opens the object
inspector. Or use Navigator's built-in property tools.

Oh, or make a bookmark of the controls -- clicking bookmarks doesn't update
the selection.

> I'll probably think of other things. The main problem for me is the amount
> of scrolling necessary to locate things

For really long lists of controls the filter function is your friend here.
And the ability to open multiple Navigators. I was especially pleased when
I made *everything* in Navigator behavior-based, so you can have dozens of
copies if you need -- and a titlebar-double-click minimizes any of them, or
a command-double-click in any titlebar minimizes/opens all of them.

Bookmarks also help here. Wow, and saved control sets. I'd forgotten I did
this. Bookmark whatever controls you like, then save and name the set. You
can have as many sets as you like, and swap them out with a menu selection
whenever you like. It seems control sets are local to a specific copy of
Navigator, so I should look at that.

, the inability to see where I'm at in the object hierarchy,

Navigator does this well for me, but YMMV

and the way the PB forces unwanted navigation.

See the above, and again YMMV.