Script Editor future (was Open Source Kickstarter Report Card)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Aug 29 12:14:43 EDT 2015

Kay C Lan wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 10:46 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> Kay C Lan wrote:
>> a better mechanism to track the changes and transfer those back and
>>> forth - that improvement can only be done from the mothership.
>>
>> What's needed?
>>
>> Let's make it so.
>
> Love the positive attitude :-)

Just being selfish:  I spend a lot of time in LC, so anything that helps
make the workflow smoother benefits me.

> From memory stsMLXEditor was written when the SE was a seperate animal to
> the Debugger, hence:
>
> The external editor will not open a script if the IDE script editor window
> is open.

Should be fixable, likely something that can be changed in stsMLXEditor.

> I think when the SE and Debugger merged stsMLXEditor became less useful
> because it was no longer possible to have just the Debugger open and my TE.

MetaCard when through a similar transition, and while some prefer it I
don't.  If nothing else, having one window designed to perform to
different and distinctly complex tasks complicates the code, a lot.  But
also, once a debugger is made separate from an editor it can be used in
contexts where editing may not be possible, such as debugging standalones.

> I haven't had a look for quite a while, so maybe I need to give it another
> whirl and see - although it looks as though a few others are giving it a go
> so maybe they'll come up with some constructive criticisms.

Please do.  Your insights are often very valuable, and in this case the
benefits nay extend beyond editor integration since at the heart of this
is a question about inter-app communication, which has even broader
applications.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems