Script Editor future (was Open Source Kickstarter Report Card)

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 00:34:15 EDT 2015

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 9:03 AM, RunRevPlanet <feed at smpcsupport.com> wrote:

> None of my comments are from the perspective that enabling LiveCode to use
> an
> external editor is a bad thing.
>
> So we agree then. As Richard said, choice is a good thing.

> More that for a cross platform IDE, written in it's supported language, to
> have
> an inadequate text editor is a very bad look

Again, we agree.

> and turns programmers away.
>
> Only if they don't have a choice to use something better. And I contend,
that for 'serious' developers, those that might work in a team or an
environment where certain tools are 'standard', then being able to leverage
those tools may be the actual tipping point of even having a look at LC in
the first place, and being able to use familiar tools may cause them to
stick around longer.

> The impression that I prefer the existing Script Editor to be improved,

Yes, the current SE needs improvement, but will they ever get to the point
that it matches your Geany yard stick, or my yardstick, or some other
developers yard stick?

> instead
> of integrating another editor, is simply because I suspect fixing the
> current
> editor will be *quicker* than integrating an external editor.

I have no hard facts on how long either process would take to do, it is
> only a
> suspicion.

And that is where we differ.

How many multi language capable IDEs are out there. Why, because as Richard
implied, you can't please everyone so you need to give them choice. Even
Xcode, from the company that enshrines in house, walled garden, made by us
and only us, allows you to choose the text editor of your choice to
manipulate the text files you write.

I'll admit, like you, I don't know exactly how long it would take to
implement, but as has been pointed out, it appears to have existed in some
form or another in previous incarnations and the foundations of which may
still lurk beneath.

My suspicion is that there are entire communities (Vim), teams (Atom -
subset of Github) and companies (Sublime Text) dedicated to the art of text
manipulation - it's not easy. There is a very good reason many many other
communities, teams and companies take the smart route and build adequate
text handling into their products but allow integration with the industry
leaders.

But to counter my own argument, this really comes down to what the coders
at the mothership are doing. If they spend every hour of the working day
between the LC IDE and their favourite Text Editor for Engine code
manipulation and Github integration and they are happy, then I should be
happy. If on the other hand they find the different keyboard shortcuts,
page tool layout and feature set a little annoying, less than ideal or
productive, then eventually someone will bite the bullet and say, this has
to change!