Daisy Pulls it Off

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 04:58:00 EDT 2015

On 08/24/2015 10:05 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Richmond wrote:
>
> > On 08/24/2015 07:09 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> >> The "See Also" section helps somewhat, but for task-driven learning
> >> tutorials are a better choice.
> >>
> >> What did you want to learn?
> >>

> > "What did you want to learn?"
> >
> > Ha, Ha, Ha . . . the whole language forbye, what else would one want
> > to learn?
> >
> > I may be daft, but I'm not a shirker!
>
> Good thing, since as with any language if you want to know every word
> you'll need to read the entire dictionary.
>
> Most of are less ambitious.  There are still things in there I've
> never read.
>
> For newcomers I usually suggest skimming the second and third chapters
> of the User Guide to get oriented, then poke around the 78 tutorials
> included in the install to find one that grabs their attention and
> play around with that, modifying it to see what happens.  As they come
> across language elements unknown to them, at that point the Dictionary
> can be helpful, esp, the See Also section.

I am the proud owner (!!!!!) of a 2 volume listing of all the language
terms in RunRev/LiveCode 1.1.1, where one can read through
(if one is so inclined) ALL the terms in the language as it was at
version 1.1.1.

It would be useful for learners if there were an equivalent list for
versions 7.x/8.x and for the new .lc language.

A would-be learner of the new language appears to have no entry point.

Richmond.